Monday, August 6, 2012

Bayside Wonton Chips!

I enjoy cooking a lot, especially when I have time for it and can experiment with a good idea. I'm not a huge fan of recipes, and I like to think I have more culinary successes than failures using this method. One of my favorite rules that I learned from Sam the Cooking Guy is when in doubt, 375 is a good go-to temperature for most things.

My husband and I have been dieting lately, and I was hoping to make some quick, healthy, grab-and-go breakfast for us using this idea from Pinterest. So I had some wonton wrappers and a mini-muffin tin, but I guess it didn't occur to me how little those wonton wrappers were because I had a lovely crispy bowl that was too small to hold anything. However, the texture reminded me of another one of my favorite crispy foods that are pretty much off-limits for dieters... 


So I made a bowl mixed with olive oil, salt, garlic powder, and lime juice and mixed it all together (easy on the olive oil, about 1 tbsp for the whole recipe - if you use a brush, you'll be able to make it last longer - and the rest to taste). I took each wonton skin and cut it in half with a pizza cutter to make two triangles.  I dunked the wonton triangles in the mix and used the same muffin pan for the failed tortilla bowl experience to stand up the wonton triangles and make the lovely curve that helps hold the salsa on the chip. 

I baked them for five minutes at 325, salted them again fresh out of the oven, and I came out with these: 


They actually stand up to salsa better than regular chips because the dough is denser than tortilla chips, and they are still light and crispy! A serving of 16 wonton chips is sixteen chips for 160 calories (give or take a couple calories for the olive oil) versus 140 calories for only 7 of the tortilla chips above - half the calories per chip! Also, 6g protein and 0.5 g fat for the wonton chips, versus 2g protein and 7g fat for the tortilla chips! And you can make these taste any way you want - onion powder, chili powder... even cinnamon and sugar with some yummy fruit salsa!

As an aside, they're called "Bayside Wonton Chips" because "Saved by the Bell" was on TV while I was making them, but feel free to call them whatever you want as long as you make them and enjoy them! 

No comments:

Post a Comment