Saturday, August 11, 2012

Eaglemoss Icebox Cake: A Work in Progress

We are a DC Family.

My husband is a fanatic of all things DC Comics, Batman in particular. He recently started collecting these iron figurines of all his favorite DC characters that are called Eaglemoss figurines. After our trip to the grocery store this morning, for some reason he was compelled to display them in a more organized fashion in our living room.

While he was fiddling around with his Eaglemoss figurines, I made this dessert that I had been thinking about trying to throw together in a slimmer fashion for a couple weeks now. I called it Eaglemoss because it seems like kind of an old-timey name for an old-timey recipe.

If you've never heard of an icebox cake, the basic idea is that before the dessert gods made boxed cake mixes, a home chef would make a cake by layering cookies and whipped cream or ice cream until the cream got into the cookies and made the whole thing a gloppy delicious mess. No bake, no fuss. So I figured, perfect summer dessert. Two ingredients, no oven required. Why not try to make it more calorie friendly?

So on our visit to the store this morning I bought the light frozen whipped topping. I didn't buy the fat free kind because that usually means they try to sneak a boatload of sugar in there to improve the flavor. I also purchased some reduced fat chocolate cookies.

I came home and got out my springform pan - one of those pans with the loose bottoms and the side with the buckle. I had no intention of taking the pan apart because I intended the cake for me and my hubby to snack on and not for any great presentation, but if you elected to do so that's the best way to get it done.

I started with a bottom layer of eight cookies, but you should be able to get by with more or less depending on how you crumble the cookies. It seems that each cookie layer requires 5-8 cookies, and the finer the cookies are crumbled, the longer they go toward making a whole layer.

I topped this layer of cookies with a layer of 12 tablespoons of whipped cream.

Repeat until the cake is at the top of the pan and end with a layer of whipped cream. Freeze for about 3-4 hours to set. Serves 8-12.



I say this is a work in progress because my cookies didn't get as mushy and melty as I'd hoped. Also, it seemed like the cookie to cream ratio was too much in favor of the cookie side. I may experiment with this further, maybe using those 100 calorie packs as cookies instead of the regular kind. But all in all, a serving of this cut for 12 people is only 186 calories! My husband was a very happy fellow and enjoyed this thoroughly after getting his figurines just right...


No comments:

Post a Comment